- Self-guided walks through the vineyards among paddocks filled with top quality thoroughbred racehorses;
- Mouth-watering selection of dishes, including light meals and an a la carte menu at the estate restaurant;
- Wine and specialised tasting options in the upgraded, modernised tasting room
Enjoy a self-guided walk around the farm and experience the paddocks, vineyards and spectacular views. Be ready with your camera, as this landscape is stunning! A detailed map is provided, allowing you to roam free and at your own pace.
Afterwards, relax in the cosy tasting room or on the terrace, and taste three of Avontuur’s award-winning wines. When you leave, you receive a complimentary bottle of the estate’s hugely popular Cabernet/Merlot to take home and enjoy at your leisure.
The Avontuur Estate has been producing wine for over 140 years. The wine cellar was built in 1986 and the first wine bottled was the 1989 Avontuur Estate Cabernet Franc.
However, they don’t just provide their guests with top-quality wine. They also offer outstanding food in a highly-recommended restaurant. Just over 20 years ago, there were only three Cape vineyards that offered dining on their wine farms, and Avontuur was one of them.
The adjacent stud farm was established in 1984 and hosts studs that are among South Africa’s best.
Closed Good Friday, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
Advice for visitors
Your visit would not be complete without stopping in at the restaurant, voted number one in the Helderberg area, for a meal and maybe another glass or two of vino. Bonus – the restaurant caters for vegan and vegetarian diners too.
Walk off your meal with a farm walk through the vineyards and among the paddocks dotted with quality thoroughbreds. Prepare yourself for the farm walk with sunscreen, sun hats, water and comfortable shoes. Although not a strenuous walk, it is not suitable for wheelchairs.
Did you know
Avontuur Estate grows four white grape and seven red grape cultivars. Their wines cover three ranges:
- Vintner’s Range for easy drinking
- Estate Range, a more quality wine
- Premiere Range, our flagship wine, which reflects the best their winemaker can produce each year. Most of the wines in the flagship range are named after the estate’s top horses